How many of you have endured the task of taking our dog for a walk or to relieve their needs in a pitch black night?. Sure Lantern and cell phones can do the job but at the expense of having only one hand to control our pooch if he decides to bail out; and with none of them to pick the poo when the deed is done, well, is really a crappy situation.
Fortunately for us, someone put things in perspective and invented LED collars for dogs, a really useful tool that changed the old plain collar into a lighting source while letting us have control over our dogs, without any harm. Rainy days, fog, lost doggy? there are several LED dog collars for any situation (and budget) but a sure thing is, that taking a walk with your dog at night won’t be the same again, so keep reading to see our practical How-To guide to pick the best LED dog collars available in the market to fulfill your lighting needs.
10+ Best LED Collars for Dogs
The Benefits of a Glow in the Dark Collars
Combining a light source and a collar in one single item offers several benefits like:
Because our far sight gets chopped down to less than half at nightfall, Glowing dog collars allow us to keep an eye over our dogs at all time, no matter how dark coated they are, especially when they run after any suspicious activity and leave us behind. Because of the bright and neon like colors that a lighted dog collar uses, will allow you to see where you are walking with your canine. And in case your dog gets lost or stuck in a pipe, you can easily find him and even check if there is any hazard near him while attempting to help, leaving us to the next point
Avoid Nighttime Accidents (Light will Catch the Eyes of a Driver)
Speeding cars are the most dangerous and common threats for a dog, especially on the night, there is virtually no reaction time to hit the brakes after a dog just pops out on the road. Using a glowing LED collar will improve our dog’s presence and largely lessen the chance of getting hit by a car as drivers will slow down to see exactly if that moving light is a UFO or it’s neighbor dog.
Using a LED glow dog collar is extremely useful, especially in rural areas. If our dog is a little mischievous he can end up in serious problems if it gets confused with a varmint by landowners who don’t like trespassers. Although this is an extreme scenario, it is better to prevent rather than lament. if your dog is on the run and carries a lighted dog collar enduring more than 8 hours, this absolutely multiplies the chances of finding him safe again.
Useful when You’re Traveling in an Unfamiliar Place
Is always exciting to discover new places, especially with your best 4-legged friend. If you are on a trip into the woods or the beach, Having a LED dog collar as an extra source of lighting is always useful.
In the case of getting troubles while returning back to your camp or car, or in a disaster situation like getting a deflated tire in the middle of the highway, your glowing dog collar can be borrowed from your pet the help you illuminate your immediate surroundings, while at the same time makes you a light spot in the dark that easily will draw attention of someone that is willing to help ,and at the same time avoid the accident.
The Additional Source of Light for Navigation
Is it very annoying to find out that you lost your keys, your phone, and other valuable objects after taking your dog to a walk, and when the dusk pasts into night any extra source of light comes in very handy. Glowing LED dog collars won’t light a stadium or even 2 yards away but are powerful enough to light the ground around your dog, helping you identify more easily if that square boulder lying in the avenue is your phone or something to avoid in case your dog gets curious about a particular object.
Inside our home, our precious pets like to sleep wherever they feel comfortable, even in the middle of the hallway. statistic report that more than 85.000 people per year get injured by stepping their pets in the dark. A glow in the dark collar for dogs will really help you to walk around your house without stepping over your pet, saving the both of you being part of statistics by noticing your sleeping furry first.
Easier to Pick Up Nighttime Poop
Having a great dog involves a great responsibility and is not leaving their poop laying around, even at night. Does nature call in the middle of the night can be quite stressful especially trying to hold the leach of a very energetic dog in one hand while holding your lamp or phone in your mouth to light the nasty matter you are trying to pick, chances are that 2 of 3 task might be accomplished and the other one failed. having Fido leached with a glowing dog collar may help a lot while to get a free hand and getting lighted your path to complete the heroic task of keeping the street or yards free of poop matter.
List of Considerations to Keep In Mind While Choosing a LED Light Up Dog Collar
After reading the later benefits of using a LED lighted dog collar, you surely want to try one on your pooch, but there a several consideration to take before you make any investment. These are:
- Quality (technologies & materials). Remember that you are not looking for a piece of fabric with bulbs attached to your dog’s neck, you are looking for safety and reliability under any circumstances. There is no point in investing in cheapo products that won’t do the job if you are in a hard time with your dog. This doesn’t necessarily mean you have to get in debt for the hottest LED dog collar available in the market, but the quality of the materials involved in its design will determine the durability, effectiveness, versatility and utmostly, the price of any glowing dog collar.
The basic characteristics while choosing a LED collar for dogs are: sturdiness, in case your dog runs, it won’t unbuckle, resistant to all weathers conditions, and of course, with strong and durable lights that can hold its bright for more than 8 hours, in case your dog or both of you have to endure a whole night until dawn.
- Visibility Features. You want your dog to be visible, no matter how dark and tick his coat is through the deepest obscurity, because keeping your dog at sight is the main reason why you invest in a LED dog collar. Besides the standard glow, some brands offer switching modes: from regular static glow to quick and slower flashes that will easily draw attention in the dark.
Keep in mind that any light pattern must be bright enough to illuminate at least the silhouette of your dog at close range and, draw our attention easily from afar. Any interruption or fading in the circuit is a big no-no.
More high tech LED dog collars will provide other glowing patterns, get adjusted brightness with sunlight, and even change colors according to your dog’s mood but whatever your available budget is, the most important fact in consideration is to draw attention to your dog in the middle of the night as quickly possible.
- Design. There are several designs for LED dog collars although most of them share the same characteristics: a small box for the circuit, batteries and the mode button usually hidden under a nylon fabric that will hold inside the lighting circuit and, completed with a buckle. There are other options:
- With single string;
- Double string;
- Dotted light circuit;
- PVC strap (for a more solid appearance).
In case your dog requires a superstrong collar that you already have invested, you can still put a LED dog collar without making your dog uncomfortable and awkward looking. Some LED dog collars also came with a LED tag attachment for an extra lighting, something useful to borrow if you are in a pinch.
- Size and Weight. Because dog breeds come in any size and weight, picking the best LED dog collar implies choosing one that can be comfortable for your dog. Manufacturers usually provide a chart with the maximum and minimum length of adjustment sizes for each model of the collar so the best advice is to grab a measuring tape and determine the girth of your dog´s neck. Once figured, compare it to the size chart and pick something around that number.
Remember, your dog’s neck will get thicker or slimmer because of its growth or current diet. If you think that LED collars for puppies would be too heavy that’s not true, although weight depends on the size of the battery and lighting system, even the largest LED dog collar doesn’t surpass 3 ounces of weight so you shouldn’t have any problem finding a cute LED collar for puppies.
- Rechargeable vs. Single-Use Batteries. This might seem foolish, but you must consider all the pros and cons from using rechargeable or single-use batteries LED dog collar. Rechargeable batteries are convenient and let you save money in the long run. Because a rechargeable LED dog collar uses the same micro USB power cord that your cell phone and with the proper adapter, you can connect it almost everywhere. Drawbacks are charging times, that can take up to 2 hours, and if power gets cut while charging the collar, or you end getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, well, you are screwed.
Single-use batteries might provide a large life to your dog’s glowing collar, and when they depleted you can easily change them and continue to use. The major issue of this option is the long-term cost of buying batteries, although this can be caped with rechargeable batteries, which can be considered the middle point of both options.
In the end, it all depends on your practical taste.
- Waterproof Feature. Watching your dog diving into water is very enjoyable, but how about seeing your canine getting inside the pool or the rain with its brand new LED dog collar? Fortunately, waterproof LED dog collars are available in the market so worries of having your dog getting a full body improvised bath aren’t necessary.
A waterproof lighted dog collar has complete insulated electric components and uses non-porous material like PVC to avoid any leak into the lighting circuit They might look quite thick, but that extra layering will ensure a longer life for your collar even if falls into the water for long periods of time.
Before making a purchase, keep in mind how fond is your dog to water and your local weather as this option can be pricey, but surely worth the investment.
LED Dog Collar FAQs
What is a LED Dog Collar?
LED light up dog collars are a very useful tool to take your dog out in the night. Their bright and intense colors will allow you to always keep an eye on your dog while illuminating its immediate surroundings at close range. LED dog collar come in great variety of designs that can match the personality of your dog without losing its main purpose. Some models are even waterproof, perfect for those sudden nighttime rains or surprise visits to the pool.
What are the Best Alternatives to Glow in the Dark Collar for Dogs?
If you feel that glow in the dark dog collars are out of the budget, or unnecessary because you already have the perfect collar for your pooch, don’t worry, you can still have the benefits of a glow dog collar by using a clip-on dog collar LED tags. These Iluminisent tags can be attached to your dog’s current collar and although small, they are powerful enough to draw anyone’s attention to your dog even as 100 feet long. LED light dog tags aren’t rechargeable but use coin size batteries, which are cheap and will endure for months.
How do LED Dog Collars Work?
Illuminescent dog collars work using a LED lightning chain connected to a circuit powered by a battery. LED dog collars has the benefits of using very low power to provide the same amount of light than older lighting systems making it very lightweight for your dog to use and has a very long life. The best part is that the LED lighting systems are sturdy but flexible enough to be adapted to any dog’s neck size easily without the risk of breaking it.
Are LED Dog Collars Safe?
Nothing is exempt of risk, but using a LED lighted dog collar will definitely save more your pooch’s life rather than putting it on danger. Even in the case that the collar gets severely damaged and your dog receives an electric discharge, the impact would be almost like a bee sting without any furthering. However don’t second guess your common sense: if you see your dog chewing a glowing collar wrongly placed just take it off, as there is the risk of choking hazard by swallowing pieces of the collar.